If you live in Lee’s Summit and your gas water heater pilot light has gone out, don’t panic. Here’s a step-by-step guide to relighting it:
• Turn off the gas supply valve by rotating the knob to the “off” position.
• Wait a few minutes for any gas fumes to dissipate before attempting to relight the pilot light.
• Locate the pilot light assembly. It should be near the bottom of the water heater.
• Turn the control knob to the “pilot” position.
• Press and hold the control knob down to start the flow of gas to the pilot light assembly.
• Push in the piezo ignitor button to start the flame. This may take a few attempts.
• Once the pilot light ignites continue holding the control knob down for 30 seconds to allow the pilot light to heat up the thermocouple.
• Release the control knob and turn it to the “on” position.
• Turn the gas supply valve back on.
It’s important to note that if you smell gas, do not attempt to light the pilot light. Instead, turn off the gas supply valve and call a professional to inspect the water heater.
If you’re located in Lee’s Summit, Missouri, and need assistance with relighting your gas water heater, consider contacting Jerry Miller with your local plumbing company at Advocate Master Plumbing. He can provide expert assistance and ensure that your water heater is operating safely and efficiently.